The Duke of York

The History of the Duke of York Inn, Pomeroy, Derbyshire

in relation to the Needham family

The Duke of York

The Duke of York

 

This page is possible thanks to Darren Parker, the then publican of ‘Duke of York’ Pomeroy, near  Buxton, who
provided help with history of the Inn and previous Innkeepers, back in 1998. 


 

 

The Duke of York as in 1994
© 1994 Allison & Alderson

 

 

 


 

The Duke of York Inn is situated in the ancient parish of Chelmorton.  Chelmorton is not mentioned in the Doomsday Book.  It is a parcel of the Royal Manor of the High Peak and the mineral rights are leased to the Duke of Devonshire, who was once a principal landowner and Lord of the Manor.


The alehouse was first opened in 1618 as part of the farmstead owned by John and Maria White. The
Needham family first came to the Inn in 1813 with Richard Needham, and as can be seen from the table below, they ran it for a total of 86 years . Richard and his wife Nancy Hulme were publicans until 1816. They had two children there; Elizabeth in 1813 and George in 1815.


George Needham, Richard’s brother took over in 1817 when he married Ann Nall. They had four children there; George in 1818, Matthew in 1819, Mark in 1820 and Ellen Dicken in 1822. Tragically, George died at the young age of 34 in 1824 (he is buried at Taddington) and Ann took over as publican, helped by her sons.


In 1851 Ann’s son George and a brother worked as farm labourers on a farm not part of the inn – possibly that of
George Dicken. Ann died in 1859 and her son George took over as innkeeper and as farmer of 63 acres.  Ann’s daughter Ellen Dicken Needham, married farmer George Dicken (perhaps he was a couisn?) who became publican in 1869. He was a farmer with 91 acres of land.


By 1881 George Dicken was described as innkeeper and farmer of 125 acres, with his wife Ellen and daughter Alice, 23 who was a servant at the inn and their son Matthew, 22 who worked on the farm. In 1891 George Dicken, now aged 70 was a farmer. When he died in 1894, Ellen Dicken took over as publican in the pub that she had been born in until her death in 1899.

 


 

PAST INNKEEPERS OF THE DUKE OF YORK

 

Date Publican Date Publican

 1618 – 1662

John WHITE 1900 –         James Arthur HAMMOND

1662 – 1687

Christopher MELLOR 1900 – 1901 Samuel WARD

1688 – 1704

Thomas REDFERN 1901 – 1913 George Lander WESTALL

1705 – 1719

Samuel PLANT 1913 – 1938 James HOROBIN

1719 -1752

Richard SALT 1938 – 1955 Mary Ellen NAYLOR

1753 – 1756

Willliam SIMPSON 1955 – 1961 Mary Ellen HADFIELD

1757 – 1774

Ellen BAGSHAW 1961 – 1962 Peter Stewart HALL

1775 – 1784

Samuel ALLEN 1962 – 1965 Paul Marshall KEYWORTH

1785 – 1791

John HIBBERT 1965 – 1967 Cyril James JONES   

1792 – 1812

Solomon MYCOCK 1967 –     Irene TWIGG

1813 – 1816

Richard NEEDHAM 1967 – 1970 John Arthur BROADHURST

1817 – 1823

George NEEDHAM 1970 – 1975 Minnie GREGORY

1824 – 1859

Ann NEEDHAM 1975 – 1980 John Henry FRITH

1859 – 1868

George NEEDHAM 1980 – 1981 David Arthur NUGENT

1869 – 1894

George DICKEN 1981 – 1984 Raymond Austin ATKINS

1894 – 1899

Ellen DICKEN 1984 – 1997 John LONGWOTH

1899 – 1901

George WILKINSON 1997 –       Daren David PARKER

 

Leave a Reply

Current ye@r *